Monastery Buildings > Metochi of Christ Savior

One of the 16th century monuments connected with Leimonos Monastery is the small church of the Dependency of Christ the Saviour that is at a distance of about a one kilometre away from the monastery itself.

The only part of the old dependency that remains today is its small church, dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ the Saviour, and built and frescoed in the 16th century. Of the decoration in the church, only two images survive on the iconostasis, and they are in poor condition. There is also a small section of fresco showing the Melisma, Christ as the Sacrificed Lamb of God in the Eucharist, which has been moved to the museum at Leimonos. The other two surviving images are of the Virgin Mary enthroned as Hodegetria, the Indicator of the Way, and Christ, also enthroned. There is an inscription with the date September 13, 1577 above the icon of the Theotokos.

Both the dependency of Christ Saviour, and the neighbouring Dependency of Saints Anargyroi, are rented by the Norwegian University of Agder and used for the purposes of education and research. XRC, or the Xristos Research Centre, has been operating at the Dependency of Christ the Saviour, while the Metochi Study Centre has been functioning at the Dependency of Saints Anargyroi, both of them since 1993.

<< 1 >>